The Perfect Engagement Ring : Which ring should you buy as your Engagement ring ?
One of the most important, exciting and love-filled moment of your wedding is deciding your very own engagement ring.Yes the engagement ring is the most talked about piece of jewelry right from the celebs wearing them in the news or your best friend or cousin showcasing them, NOW it’s your turn. So how do you go about getting your own special engagement ring?
Well, from the age old times to the recent days, prospective grooms propose to their prospective brides by presenting them the engagement ring which is now followed all over the world. Even in some cultures, the exchange of engagement rings is a customary tradition.
• Research : Make sure you do a lot of research about the likes, lifestyle etc. of you or your partner.
• Style : Perhaps the most important thing before selecting your ring is to identify what is your style. Is it classic, contemporary, or simplistic? Style of jewelry varies from person to person. So make sure your style is in check!
• Know your Diamonds : Diamonds is the traditional engagement ring choice because they are enduring and match everything. Don’t forget the saying “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend!” Diamonds are the hardest materials and also scratch resistant.
• 4 ‘C’ s : Before buying a Diamond engagement ring don’t forget to remember the 4 ‘C’ s :
1. Carat : this refers to the unit measurement of the diamond and the weight (not size). Engagement rings are generally of 1 carat or more.
2. Color : the color of the diamond varies considerably and most people prefer a very white colored stone. Colors are graded from D (colorless to rare) and vary good quality diamonds maybe found around F and H and grades D to I are also acceptable.
3. Clarity : Being a natural stone, there will be some imperfections in the stones. Lesser the imperfections, greater the clarity and greater the brilliance. The scale used to grade diamonds goes from F1 (flawless) to VVS1/VVS2 (very very small inclusions) to VS1/VS2 (very small inclusions),S1/S2(small imperfections) to I1/I2/I3(imperfect diamonds).
4. Cut : there are different ways to cut a diamond and the type of cut directly impacts the diamond’s sparkle. The cut that produces the most sparkle is the round (brilliant) cut while radiant and princess cut are good at hiding flaws. Other cuts include square, cushion , emerald ,pear, heart-shaped etc. A high quality cut is more important than the weight or high quality color grade because just like a road reflector, light shines back out of the diamond from the direction it entered and breaks it up a bit in the process.
Here are some of shapes of the stones
|Types of rings settings|
• Mind your budget : The ‘2 months’ age old rule is certainly not valid anymore. You have to buy the ring which will best suit you and your loved one. You can always try saving in ways like buying a 1.8 carat instead of 2 carat or getting a VS1 or S1 instead of VVS1 because some impurities are not even visible to the naked eye.
• Choose the best jeweler : Find the jeweler who specializes in engagement rings, understands your needs, budget and still doesn’t compromise on quality.
• Get it in writing! : Buying an engagement ring is a lifetime deal so make sure you have a written acknowledgement about the warranty, description, return policy and most importantly the diamond grade certificate from a renowned international lab like the GIA.
Now that you know all about the things you should know before going out and purchasing your ring, here’s a look at the most popular Engagement Ring Styles :
1. Solitaire :
|Diamond solitaire with side accents|
3. Bridal sets :
|Bridal set with diamonds|
4. Trios :
|Trios diamond ring|
5. Three stone ring :
|Three stone diamond ring|
6. Create your own ring :
Wouldn’t it be special to add your very own special touch to your engagement ring and design a unique look for it? You can order a custom made ring or get it designed by a jewelry designer to own a unique engagement ring!
So, having said everything about what you need to know about the basics of the ring and the styling of it, keeping in mind that the engagement ring is the pride of every bride (and groom), always remember to choose a ring which best suits you or your partner’s style , lifestyle and also best represents you and your relationship.
Also, here are a few video clips that I found which will really help you get that perfect ring:
I hope this blog really helps to get you on the right track to get that PERFECT ENGAGEMENT RING which you have always desired.
Happy Shopping!! J
Happy Shopping!! J