We are going to write and answer many questions of people regarding moonstone. This article will cover following information -
1. Why moonstone is becoming so people and jewelry makers favorite gemstone?
2. In how many colors moonstone comes?
3. What is the origin of rainbow or blue firing moonstone?
4. General price idea based on different qualities of blue moonstone?
1. Why moonstone is becoming so people and jewelry makers favorite gemstone- Every third jewelry making company is using moonstone in their designs because of its magnificent natural blue firing. Except labradorite there is not any other stone which can replace moonstone. In actual labradorite is also not a perfect replacement. Few years back moonstone was one of the cheapest semi precious stone but due to increasing demand prices has been hiked and very fine material is available in limited quantities.
2. In how many colors moonstone comes - Moonstone is not only available in blue or rainbow color but also available in white, orange, grey, peach, chocolate, camel, creamy and many other colors. Top quality moonstone comes with chatoyancy and looks elegant when tilt left-right.
3. What is the origin of rainbow or blue firing moonstone - Blue firing moonstone comes from two countries - Africa and India so basically African and Indian moonstone are running in the market. African quality comes with white with blue firing and Indian comes with transparent with blue and rainbow firing. See the picture to know difference -
4. General price idea based on different qualities of blue moonstone? - Moonstone prices starts with 0.20-0.25$ per carat and goes up to 25-30$ per carat for top quality. Basic parameters to judge a moonstone is - 1. Transparency 2. Blue or rainbow firing
So here we are diving moonstone in three divisions -
1. Low quality (less firing and full of clouds inside) - In this variety Moonstone comes with full of clouds or no transparent with very less blue firing. This one starts with 0.25$ per carat in small and free big sizes.
2. Medium quality (Good firing and slight clouds inside) - This one is medium range, in this range very small lining or clouds and decent blue firing can be seen inside the stone. This quality starts with 1.25-2$ per carat.
|Medium Quality Moonstone blue firing|
3. Top Quality - This one is gem quality, in this quality moonstone come completely transparent with iridescent blue firing, this quality comes very high in prices. Generally it starts with 15$ per carat and goes high depends on size and shapes.
|African and Indian Moonstone AAA Top quality|